In an era where digitalisation is rapidly transforming every facet of our lives, the environmental impact of software development has become a phenomenally important topic. We invite the RIPE community to the Green Coding Summit 2023 set to take place on 23-24 November at the Französischer Dom, Berlin.
We, the Sustainable Digital Infrastructure Alliance (SDIA), are proud to present the Green Coding Summit 2023, supported by the Ministry of Economic Affairs and Climate Action. The summit will bring together Europe's green coding and software communities, emphasising the significance of environmentally-conscious software development.
The event will feature hands-on workshops, insights from community leaders, and networking opportunities, all centred around the theme of sustainable software practices. The summit serves as both a learning platform and a call to action, urging attendees to contribute to a sustainable digital future.
Why green coding matters
The software community is becoming increasingly aware of the environmental footprint left by the products and services they are creating. As we continue to rely heavily on these products to drive economic growth and accelerate digitalisation, the need for resource-efficient software becomes even more pressing.
The question arises: what happens if the vast majority of software continues to be developed without considering the resources it consumes? The answer lies in understanding the potential future repercussions for society, the environment, and the potential rebound effects.
Learn, code, connect - Our vision for the Summit
The Green Coding Summit 2023 is not just another event; it's about accelerating the existing movement and expanding the 'bubble' of practitioners. Our vision is to collaboratively create an Annual Green Coding Roadmap, supported by quarterly community summits. This roadmap will focus on:
- Establishing clear policy recommendations, a standardisation plan, and highlighting the benefits for software developers.
- Disseminating existing knowledge on how to measure and report the environmental impact of software.
- Sharing best practices that have been tested in real-world scenarios to reduce the environmental footprint across various architectures, frameworks, and platforms.
What awaits you at the Summit
- Bootcamp Deep-Dives: Roll up your sleeves and dive deep into the world of green coding with organisations like Green Coding Berlin (Green Metrics Tool, Eco CI, ...), The Green Web Foundation (CO2.js, Branch Magazine, ...), and Boavizta (Scaphandre, Boavizta API, ...). These workshops will provide hands-on experience with tools and best practices, allowing participants to measure the environmental impact of their software projects and understand how to improve them.
- Knowledge Expansion: Learn from international thought leaders such as ABN Amro, about their insights, experiences, and real-world applications in green coding. The main conference will explore the essence of green software and all of its practices (green coding, operations, and requirements).
- Networking Opportunities: This is a rare opportunity to connect with the Green and Sustainable Software communities in one place. Meet and engage with maintainers, contributors, researchers, and other stakeholders.
Be part of the change
The SDIA Green Coding Summit 2023 is more than just a conference; it's a call to action. It's an invitation to be part of a movement that seeks to shape the future of software development in a sustainable and environmentally friendly way. By attending, you're not just expanding your knowledge; you're also contributing to a brighter, greener future for the digital world.
In conclusion, as we stand at the crossroads of digital transformation and environmental sustainability, the Green Coding Summit 2023 offers a unique platform to merge these paths. Let's come together to ensure that the digital future we're building is not only innovative but also sustainable. Join us in Berlin this November and be part of the change!
See you in Berlin?