RIPEstat Live Demo #5
For reference, please see summaries of the previous demo sessions:
During this fifth interactive live demo, the development team explained and demonstrated the tool's features and new functionality. Highlighted were newly added items originated from community feedback ideas collected during the recent RIPE62 meeting, such as the Looking Glass plugin.
New website design
- Brand new layout
- Improved readability and visual organisation
- Floating Table of Contents for easy access
- New status page shows current status of the several data source backends
- View it at http://stat.ripe.net/status
- Change log page
- Lists up to date additions and modifications to the system, reported directly from the developers
Improved gradual loading mechanism in the plugins
- Future plans for adding a known/reported bugs page
New plugins and features
- New plugin : BGP Looking glass
- Elected feature from RIPE62 collected feedback
- Simple version for now: executes "show ip(v6) bgp" command on all the RIS route collectors (RRCs) across the globe
- Displays aggregated and summarized data in readable format
- Ability to filter/search data from all the sources
Shows only preferred path per RRC in overview mode, with possibility to view all other route entries
- Follow-up link to query RIPEStat for ASes in the path
- Bug fix : Corrected data that led to incorrectly reported lower visibility
- When prefix/AS visibility <100%, added option to display list of peers currently not passing the prefix
- Prefix List
- Added subnet size column to the table. Allows easier sorting by prefix size
- Bug fix : Removed duplicate entries (occurred when there were gaps between announcements). Prefixes are now displayed with their unique first and last seen time.
Questions and Answers
: Is the entry shown in the Looking Glass overview always the best path or just the first one returned on the query?
A1 : It's always the best/preferred path.
: Any plans for allowing user customisation on the order of the boxes to display the most important first (and even remove those not relevant)?
A2 : We intend to go in the direction of using a wiki interface, to allow a deeper level of customization of the output by the users. Even allowing configuration on how the plugins behave as well. This would be accessible via a unique URL.
Q3 : To help information sharing between users, would be good to know what people are saying/commenting about specific results, by leaving messages in the data.
A3 : Definitely. It is a planned feature to have comments tied to resources.
- It would be convenient to link the looking glass plugin to the separate interface which allows further queries at http://www.ris.ripe.net/cgi-bin/lg/index.cgi
- Grant users API access for easier integration with other tools.
You can also use one of the following channels:
- Leave a comment under this article on RIPE Labs
- Leave a comment on the site at http://stat.ripe.net/
- Contact the developers by private mail to ripestat _at_ ripe _dot_ net