At RIPE 76, everyone's been talking about hackathons, so we want to remind you of two events that the RIPE NCC is organising with our partners, iNOG and TU Delft - the first in June in Dublin and the second in October in Amsterdam.
-- 19 July 2018
Hackathons provide great opportunities for students, network operators, designers, researchers, local communities and other enthusiastic coders and hackers to come together and develop new and creative tools, to meet others in their field, and to exchange knowledge and experience with people very different from their everyday colleagues.
Our events are cooperative, rather than competitive, and we produce Free and Open Source Software (FLOSS), to be contributed back to the community. Read more about the previous six awesome hackathons organised by the RIPE NCC.
Hacking Tools for Network Operators
- Date: Saturday and Sunday, 23 - 24 June 2018
- Venue: Co-working space called DoSpace, Dublin, Ireland
- Topic: Tools for Network Operators
- Final deadline for applications: 10 June
On Thursday, 21 June 2018, there will be the sixteenth edition of iNOG (iNOG::10), also in Dublin, Ireland.
Read more about this hackathon in this previous RIPE Labs article.
Quantum Internet Hackathon
The next RIPE NCC hackathon will be co-organised with the Technical University Delft and QuTech. It will be held during the weekend before the RIPE 77 meeting in Amsterdam or possibly Delft. Here's what we can tell you about it so far (look out for updates on RIPE Labs):
- Date: Saturday and Sunday, 13 - 14 October 2018
- Location: Still to be determined: either Amsterdam or Delft
- Topic: Quantum Internet.
You can already apply for this hackathon!
Other Friendly Hackathons
During RIPE76 in Marseille, Charles Eckel talked about Combining Open Source and Open Standards, and he promoted hackathons as one way to achieve building code and open standards through collaboration. He used IETF hackathons as an example, and invited participants to join; here are more details:
- IETF 102 Hackathon: 14-15 July 2018, the weekend before IETF in Montreal
- MEF18 LSO Hackathon: 29 - 31 October 2018 in conjunction with MEF18 in Los Angeles, USA
- IETF 103 Hackathon: 3-4 November 2018, the weekend before IETF in Bangkok
In addition to this, here are some of the other interesting hackathons coming up that we're aware of:
- Border Session: Hack the Planet: 13-16. June, The Hague, The Netherlands
- NANOG 73 Hackathon: Sunday, 24 June 2018, Denver, Colorado, USA
- SIGCOM2018 Hackathon: 25 August 2018, Budapest, Hungary
Let us know if you are organising a similar event, or if you need help with organising your hackathon - we can work on it together!
For all things RIPE NCC Hackathon related: http://labs.ripe.net/hackathons